Wibiya Widget

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Modeling…




I have always dreamt of being a host on a television show or acting out in a very well known soap or a major movie.

When in standard 5, or grade 7 rather, I took a slight interest into modeling and started attending modeling classes. I was based in a very small town and there were zero opportunities really, these classes did not last long either and eventually I left when I moved town.

In Matric, my final year of school, I landed a spot on a local soap opera as an extra, this was a big deal for me and was very exciting and it ignited something inside me, from this point on I started chasing a dream.

I went over to London for 8 months after school. While working in London I did a lot of research on the industry and saw agencies and people involved in the industry, I did not yet feel ready to go into modeling and I was not self confident at all, so I dreamt on… I did see the opportunity though and saw that modeling could be a stepping stone into television.

While in London I saw a couple of agencies, did a couple of small shoots and very quickly realized that the industry is full of sharks and you really had to know what you were doing in order to survive. Small time agencies and modeling schools are the ones most likely to take you for a ride.

I returned to Pretoria, South Africa and started varsity, at the same time I went to see O models Africa who referred me to 3D models in Johannesburg and this is where it all started for me. I was very dedicated to the agency and saw them at least 3 times a week and I went to every casting that was passed my way. Each casting was a learning experience, each casting I attended I made the most of and spoke to as many people as possible, to get more insight into the industry and how it all works. Although I landed some big jobs which included television adds, fashion shows and editorial shoots, it did not feel like it was all going good, but I persisted. I also maintained a strict training program at the gym, but it was not working for me and I knew there was a lot that I needed to do to improve myself, and this included a change in my confidence!

I moved down to Durban about a year or so later and then started to freelance, which was good for me and I have picked up a lot of experience and knowledge in the industry. I have had the opportunity to meet a lot of people who are very involved in the industry and meet other models. With this being said I also improved on my body and in turn my confidence grew. Remember, there is a difference between confidence and vanity.

Sadly models are never open about their careers, and can be quite selfish in that respect, so not a lot of knowledge was gained from them, however, I thank the few which have assisted me in the past.

My journey is still not over though, I am still looking at making it big, and I know one day I will. The next step is signing with an international firm in Cape Town this month and then letting them run with me. It is an exciting journey, a tough one but well worth it.

It is my stepping stone to many greater things!

1 comment: